Friday, October 15, 2010

Football and Sex




Yes, those are two of my favorite subjects.

That's right, I'm a football fan-- college football to be exact.




So what? Well, our team has a big game this weekend against the team that beat us last year by one point--ONE point-- in the last three seconds-- THREE seconds. We're out for blood. And we (hubby, Ruckus and I) are gonna be there. Almost everyone we know is going to be there, actually. And those who aren't there will be watching on TV. Tickets are selling for almost $200 each (yes, of course I thought about selling our four tickets... for about thirty seconds. There's no way I'm missing this game, are you nuts?)


Okay, *fan* might not be the right word.


It's a way of life here. It’s even kind of… okay, a sickness. And it’s not just me. It’s my husband, son, my family, our friends, my in-laws…



I’m not kidding. We all cheer for the same team too. I grew up in a house where my mom not only knew more about football than my dad but could swear and scream better than he could. I grew up in a family where Saturdays in the fall were sacred. Still are. You simply don’t schedule other stuff to go on during game time.



And when that commandment is broken… drastic measures are taken. For instance, one of my husband’s nieces decided to get married. On a football Saturday. On a home game day. The horror!


To keep her six uncles from abandoning the reception for the game, they set up a big screen TV at the reception hall.


Seriously.


I know you’re thinking that’s pretty pathetic. And you might be right. Then again, this is a part of our culture. It bonds us. If you can't think of anything else to say at Thanksgiving dinner, football will *always* get the conversation going. Most of our friends cheer for this team too and those who don't-- well, we simply don't see them between the season opener and the bowl game. Once basketball season starts we don't care as much.


Tailgating, road trips to away games, all-night celebrations of championships… all have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It’s a part of our life. (I mean, you know it’s a big topic of conversation at our house when a thirteen-year-old girl who couldn’t care less about anything having to do with sports actually knows what an I-back is and does--in spite of herself).


But it shouldn’t surprise anyone that I love football. After all, football and romantic fiction aren’t really that different.

For instance, a football championship game is much like a wedding:
There’s a lot of hype leading up to the big day.
Everyone has something special to wear.
Drinking and partying commence right afterward.
Months of planning come down to just a few hours.
And in the end, it’s all about scoring.



5 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

When I lived in Texas, we had to be careful not to hit Austin on game day (you want to talk horror? Try I-35). In Boulder, on the other hand, on sunny Saturdays they go to games but they also go kayaking or hiking or bicycling or, well, whatever. I love Colorado!

PG Forte said...

I lived in Tampa the year the Buccaneers won the Superbowl. The amount of swag purchased during the weeks leading up to it could have financed a small country for a couple of years. People traded in their cars for special, limited edition, Buccaneer-colored vehicles.

I found it disturbing.

However, I am a big fan of the Rose Parade...does that count?

Erin Nicholas said...

Meg, Colorado U has been one of our rivals for years-- I'm glad they would rather hike and bike! ha!
PG, I know. It is disturbing in that regard. It's like anything else-- moderation is the key right? :)
Erin

kelly said...

I don't know much about football but my daughter is growing up to be quite a fan. for me it's hocke. I LOVE hockey!! I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada with my mom and my grandma, with season tickets to the Wheat Kings (yes!) and then cried with bitter disappointment when we lost our NHL team (we are still going to get it back, right Gary Bettman???*g*

Unknown said...

Haha, loved your comparison Erin! :-D LOL

Though in my family the men aren't big football fans, my sisters and I, we grew to love football in high school and to this day, it's us 3 girls rather than my dad and grandpa who watch the matches :-)

Unfortunately I've never been to a live match, I bet those are fantastic! :-D

Have fun Erin!!

(I also love reading about football in romance novels, because usually it is a bonding scene between guy friends, or the girl just shows how good she is at football and thus completely charms the hero :-D)